Italian Dough for Pizza and Breadsticks
This dough is perfect for making breadsticks, pizza crust or any other recipe that calls for a nice, soft and yeasty bread! The entire recipe takes about 2.5-3 hours to complete, including cooking, so it is also a lot faster than most other bread recipes I have found. I have tried this recipe for pizza dough twice and breadsticks once, and my husband told me that he doesn’t think I will be able to beat it or improve it without messing with the flavor or consistancy! The whole family loves it, give it a try with yours!
1 1/2 Cups of WARM water
2 1/4 teaspoons active live yeast
3 1/2 Cups of flour (all purpose or self-rising, both work very well)
2 Tablespoons of olive oil
2 teaspoons of salt (I use garlic salt with parsley)
1 teaspoon of sugar
* If you use all purpose flour, the bread will be a bit heavier and flatter. Self rising flour will make your bread turn out fluffy and soft. It all depends on what you are wanting, my family likes it soft and fluffy so I always use self rising flour*
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water and let it sit for 5 minutes
- Mix in the salt and sugar, stir well.
- Mix in the olive oil and flour. Mix together well. I use a fork at first, then my hands when the dough forms up.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until it is smooth and elastic, like a yeast roll recipe would be.
- Lightly coat a bowl in oil or cooking spray. Put your dough and coat it gently and lightly with oil.
- Cover with a damp towel and let it rise until doubled, about 1 to 1.5 hours. I turned the oven on at 350 for abotu 2 minutes, turned if off and put my dough in to rise, it worked GREAT!
- Punch down to half, divide the dough into halves and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Form your dough according to your recipe then let it sit 5 minutes.
- Stretch and reform the dough and let it sit for 10 more minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 450 for at least 20 minutes before you bake this dough!
I hope you enjoy this dough recipe, let me know how your recipes go with it! I will post my pizza and breadstick recipes in a little bit.