* This content is copied from an email sent out at 1:09 pm Eastern Time on Monday, March 9, 2020, from doTERRA to their Wellness Advocates in the USA. I did not write any of this content myself and, as such, is copyright to doTERRA, not me.
Dear dōTERRA Family,
Our top priority is always the health and safety of our entire community. The recent outbreak of COVID-19 has raised a variety of questions and concerns, and we want you to be assured that we are continually monitoring the situation to ensure we are making the best decisions and taking the right actions for you and the entire dōTERRA family.
Gratefully, we are uniquely situated with our Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Russell Osguthorpe, being an Infectious Diseases physician. His understanding and experience working in this field is invaluable for dōTERRA. Given the dynamic nature of the situation around the world, we advise you to adhere to the guidance offered by public health agencies in your region. This may include basic precautions or significant restrictions on travel or public gatherings.
To help manage any concerns and reduce transmission of respiratory viruses, including COVID-19, in your area, Dr. Osguthorpe recommends that everyone follow these evidence-based procedures.
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol, including dōTERRA’s On Guard Sanitizing Mist—which contains 64% alcohol, can be used.
- Stay home when sick, except to get medical care.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Clean frequently touched surfaces and objects often.
- Face masks are not recommended for people who are well. However, if you show symptoms of COVID-19 or another respiratory disease, then you should wear a mask.
What you should know about COVID-19
The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person.
- Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).
- Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby, or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.
- It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or eyes. However, this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.
Most people who contract COVID-19 are thought to be mildly symptomatic or asymptomatic (showing no symptoms). These include:
- Shortness of breath
The situation with COVID-19 is evolving, and we are continually monitoring the outbreak and how it is impacting life in your communities. The dōTERRA executive team will make decisions concerning future events and meetings based on scientific information and recommendations provided by Dr. Osguthorpe and guidelines provided by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO), and relevant agencies and organizations from countries around the world. Recommendations concerning dōTERRA events and meetings will be communicated with Wellness Advocates, customers, and employees at least one month prior to the scheduled start date whenever practicable.
dōTERRA has an excellent operations team that has been careful about planning and forecasting supply chain challenges and product needs around the world. While we have seen a dramatic spike in sales of our On Guard family of products, we are working around the clock to stay in stock for all of these products. The demand for dōTERRA’s On Guard Sanitizing Mist has increased by over 400% in most markets in recent weeks and we are quadrupling our supplies of this product in the coming weeks. In the interim there may be some occasional short term stock outs of this and a few other high demand products. The good news is that due to our long-term strategic planning with our global network of growers we have stocked more than a year’s supply of most of our essential oils. Accordingly, we don’t expect any significant outages for the On Guard essential oil blend or other essential oils that are in unusually great demand during this time.
We also are working hard to ensure that our shipments reach you as fast as possible. Some delays to certain regions of the world may at times be inevitable and we thank you in advance for your patience if an order takes longer than you anticipated.
dōTERRA is restricted on the health claims that can be made about our products. We recognize essential oils have profound health and wellness benefits, but we do not claim that our products prevent, treat or cure illnesses or diseases, including COVID-19. We must continue to be vigilant in ensuring that we avoid all communications that claim otherwise.
While there seems like a lot to worry about, there are many reasons to be optimistic.
- The COVID-19 virus is thought to be very similar to other respiratory viruses like influenza or RSV, and is mild in most people who get it.
- Children seem particularly protected from severe COVID-19 disease.
- There has been extraordinary cooperation in the global sharing of clinical data and research.
Be assured that your health and wellbeing is imperative to us and we will factor in all information to determine recommendations regarding future events and meetings.
Sincerely, David Stirling
dōTERRA Founding Executive and CEO